NML(Nano/Micro Systems and Controls Laboratory) conducts research and development in MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical Systems) and control technologies. Professor Cho started the MEMS research from its embryonic stage. He has served as an editor of IEEE/ASME Journal of MEMS since its first issue in 1992, and was appointed as a Senior Editor in 2012. In addition, he currently serves as the Vice-Chair of the Technical Board of IFAC (International Federation of Automatic Control). The laboratory is comprised of 9 Ph. D. and 5 M.S. candidates and focuses on the research of MEMS and control technologies. Professor Cho publishes extensively in leading journals and also has more than one hundred patents and patent applications. He also transferred many patents to companies.
Research Interests & Projects
▶Main research fields
- Manufacturing and design of high-performance MEMS inertial sensors and development of the packaging technologies of MEMS sensors
- Development of robot sensor technologies converging video and motion informations
- Development of artificial retinal systems and stimulation chips based on nanowires
- Development of bacteria-based micro drug delivery systems using biodegradable polymers
- Development of qubit control technologies using Quantum computing
▶Recent research projects
- Development of SLAM modules using video and motion informations – Korea government project
- Development of localization and mapping technologies of outdoor driving robots – Industrial company project
- Research of models reflecting neural network structures and artificial retinal stimulators - Korea government project
- Development of drug manufacturing/delivery microbot technology to treat cancer – Korea government project
- Development of qubit control technologies using Quantum computing – Industrial company project
Journals & Patents
▶ 최근 주요 논문
 Lee, T. J., Kim. C. H., and Cho, D. I., “A Monocular Vision Sensor-Based Efficient SLAM Method for Indoor Service Robots,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, accepted, 2018.
 Jang, S. H., Lee. H., Shin. J. Y., Yoo. H. J., and Cho, D. I., “Top-Down Fabrication of Silicon Nanowires Using Thermal Oxidation and Wet Etching for Inertial Sensor Applications,” Sensors and materials, accepted, 2018.
 Hong, S. J., Kwon, Y. D., Jung, C. H., Lee, M. J., Kim, T. H., and Cho, D. I., “A New Microfabrication Method for Ion-Trap Chips That Reduces Exposure of Dielectric Surfaces to Trapped Ions,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 28-30, Feb. 2018.
 Yi, D. H., Lee, T. J., and Cho, D. I., “A New Localization System for Indoor Service Robots in Low Luminance and Slippery Indoor Environment Using Afocal Optical Flow Sensor Based Sensor Fusion,” Sensors, vol. 18, no. 171, pp. 1-14, Jan. 2018.
 Bahn, W., Kim, T. I., Lee, S. H., and Cho, D. I., “Resonant Frequency Estimation for Adaptive Notch Filters in Industrial Servo Systems,” Mechatronics, vol. 41, pp. 45-57, Feb. 2017.
▶ 최근 주요 특허
 Cho, D. I., and Park, J. H., “System and Method of Controlling Vision Device for Tracking Target Based on Motion Command,” PCT/KR2011/001190 (Feb. 23, 2011), U.S. Patent, patent approved.
 Cho, D. I., Lee, S. M., Jung, S. W., and Shin, J. Y., “Retinal Prosthesis System Using Nanowire Light Detector, and Manufacturing Method Thereof,” U.S. Patent No. 9,795,787, Oct. 24, 2017.
 Cho, D. I., Kim, T. H., Yoon, J. K., Choi, B. D., Hong, S. J., and Lee, M. J., “Ion Trap Apparatus and Method for Manufacturing Same,” U.S. Patent No. 9,548,179, Jan. 17, 2017.
 Cho, D. I., Bahn, W., and Lee, S. H., “Servo Motor Controller and Control Method Therefor,” U.S. 9,541,908, Jan. 10, 2017.
 조동일, 반욱, 윤종민, 이상훈, “적응 노치 필터를 이용한 서보 시스템의 자동 공진 억제 장치 및 그 방법”, 등록번호 101757267, 2017. 7. 6.